Lead Engineer – Web Development
Are you looking to take the next steps with your career? We at Xanadu are always looking for talented hard working people to join our team.
At Xanadu, we build systems and products for the online sports betting industry. We currently have an open position for a lead engineer in web development to join us and work on Matchbook.com – the world’s fastest growing betting exchange.
Matchbook is a betting exchange platform. This uses peer-to-peer betting where customers can choose to either place a bet or take a bet. It’s suitable for all types of bettors from casual punters to professional traders. Matchbook is no ordinary website. It has more in common with the New York Stock Exchange than with a bookmaker. It operates at scale. Its API processes over 300 million API requests per day. It manages billions of dollars worth of transactions. To put some of this in perspective, it processes more transactions each day than Amazon.com does on Black Friday. At Matchbook you’ll work at a scale which you’ll rarely find anywhere else. The challenges here are big – really big. The people you’ll work with are hungry to tackle them. If this sounds like a challenge too good to ignore, then we want to hear from you.
As a lead engineer you will facilitate collaboration across cross functional agile product engineering teams. You will be expected to support the members of these teams and assist with their adoption of agile methodologies to get products designed, built, and shipped. You will also work as part of a dedicated team of passionate and talented engineers to continue Matchbook’s mission to become to leading platform globally. You will play a pivotal role in developing and designing the next phase of features and products on the newly built exchange as part of the Matchbook Product Engineering Team.
What will I be doing?
- You will be building products on our web based exchange platform. This will include implementing UI designs on our high performance client side web based tech stack. Currently we’re working with ES2016, React, Redux, and SCSS.
- You will ensure that all our customers get the best possible experience no matter what device or browser they’re using, on desktop or mobile.
- You will be building high quality, well structured, robust components and modules that encourage reuse with great documentation in a collaborative environment.
- You will be mentoring and supporting other engineers to help develop improve their skills, reduce their technical debt, and develop their careers.
- Collaborate with your team’s UI Designers and Product Engineers to push the limits of existing UI technology and create the best possible user experience.
- Create rapid UI prototypes to illustrate an idea or prove a theory.
- This is a senior-level engineering position and you must have at least 5-6 years of work experience building web products and at least 1-2 years experience in a leadership role.
- You must have strong UI development skills and experience working with responsive designs.
- You must be able to articulate an idea to your team with clarity and precision. We regularly hold team demos and you should be comfortable presenting and demoing your work to our wider team.
- We focus on aligning our teams to our long term goals, and within that the team are given a lot of autonomy to execute their plans in the best way they see fit. You will be expected to contribute your ideas and concepts in our planning and design sessions and then to work with your team to refine and execute those ideas.
Nice to Have
- Strong web application design skills, including interface, layout and visual design.
- Working knowledge of Git and node based development environments and the Linux or Mac terminals.
- Experience with websockets, asynchronous flow control, functional methodologies and RESTful API design.